According to Gartner, a leading research and advisory company, cloud computing is the new norm. But some businesses struggle to successfully implement cloud technology.
|“Organizations that do not have a high-level cloud strategy driven by their business strategy will significantly increase their risk of failure and wasted investment.”
|- David Cearley, Vice President and Gartner Fellow, Gartner Research
Generally speaking, businesses fail because they don’t adequately prepare for transition. If you’re considering Software as a Service (SaaS), start by performing a current state assessment.
David Cearley, research VP and partner at Gartner, suggests to first gather all of your key decision-makers and answer a series of questions. Then, you’ll be able to determine your path forward.
Here are some questions to get you started:
- How should we implement SaaS programs for our business?
- How should our existing data center change and evolve with the implementation of SaaS?
- What implementation and maintenance services do we expect to receive from a SaaS provider?
- What is involved in the implementation process?
Having this discussion early on can alleviate headaches and frustrations down the road. It will guide you in the right direction and will prepare you for the transition to SaaS solutions.
Other Reasons Why Businesses Fail to Successfully Implement SaaS
Forbes Magazine has also identified several reasons why organizations fail in their cloud transition efforts. Here are five of them:
- Inaccurate current-state assessment
- Misjudged value-proposition of new technologies
- Heavy reliance on technology as the primary answer
- Underestimating the value of data and analytics
- Inadequate training and skillsets from employees
Check out the Forbes article to learn more about these issues. In summary, businesses need to understand that there is more work involved than just purchasing and implementing a SaaS solution.
Take the time to fully understand your business needs and find a solution that addresses the exact issues at hand. Don’t assume that anything is better than nothing. Instead of settling for the cheapest option, or the first one you find, make sure it’s going to benefit your business.
Don’t rely solely on cloud tech to solve all of your problems. The people you work with still need to use it properly in order to gain value from it. Make sure all users understand what is expected of them for managing and maintaining the program.
How to Ensure a Successful SaaS Implementation
To summarize our discussion, here are some general steps that any business should follow when implementing a SaaS solution:
- Identify the specific issues at hand
- Consider the options moving forward
- Choose the option that best suits your needs
- Develop a high-level strategy to guide you along the way
- Train your team on how to use the SaaS program, and set expectations early on
If you have questions about implementing a web-based EHS software solution at your workplace, reach out to our experts at EHS Insight.
No Comments Yet
Let us know what you think